Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The grass is still grass...even on the other side

A salaamu aleikum! 

Well, I am finally back in the real world after a few days of limbo!  No internet can make  for a sad Adria!  Well anyway, it's 11 pm at night here in lovely and very humid Abu Dhabi so this post is NOT going to be a lengthy one...so let's begin

September 9th...a day I will NEVER forget!  It was the first day of school and I would be meeting my 3rd and 5th grade girls for the first time.  I must say with every fiber (or fibre as it is spelled here) of my being that I have never had a first day like this one.  Not to sound like it was bad but it was just different.  Normally, my students would come in, somewhat timid and quiet, and quickly complete any task that I had.  Today, I was greeted with foreign tongues and student saying, "Miss, miss"  My name is not Ms. Dula it's Miss Adria or Audrrreeea here. I was greeted with candy from some and a few "las" from others. (La means "no" in Arabic).  Fast forward to Wednesday evening, where I am completely tired with no living room furniture as I had to send it back due to being "too large" for the elevators in my building and having to practically beg for a technician to install the internet.

All in all, I will say that this journey is a process, one that will better me as an educator and overall person.  I have truly seen some beautiful things but I also see have begun to appreciate more of what I left behind.  They say the grass is greener on the other side, but sometimes, the grass is just grass.  Be blessed you all!  

 

1 comment:

  1. All grass can be green if it's watered and cared for. Yep.

    Glad to see a new post Adria.

    ReplyDelete