Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Aniversaries

Today, I was driving home with my riding companion chewing away at the normal fat when I thought about how it was this time last year I decided to apply to teach in Abu Dhabi.  I remember sitting on the "infamous green couch", with my laptop in my lap, and my fingers on the keyboard.  I simply remember thinking, "Why not?"  At that moment, I began typing in my information and uploading my resume to Teachaway.  I didn't take it seriously at all.  In fact, I pretty much knew something would be wrong about it and I would just let it go like everything else.  But yet, there was something inside said that this was going to be different.  And boy, was it.  As I sit here in my apartment, listening to the maid cleaning my kitchen...yes I SAID MAID CLEANING MY KITCHEN...and watching the Arabic language commercials on TV, I smile to myself knowing that that girl that uploaded that resume is far away.  That girl thought she knew a lot, only to find she knew very little.  That girl thought she had figured out who she was but found that she was a lot stronger than she thought.  I'm proud to say that that girl did a little bit of growing...in fact, a LOT of growing within a few months.  Today, I was driving to work and I drove past some camels that were just grazing in a field.  I was in awe...not at the camels...but that I was so lucky to experience a place where I would see things that I would never see otherwise.  I felt blessed and honored to be able to experience this.  This afternoon as I got ready to go home, one of my sweet 3rd graders came in from the field trip.  I was unable to go this time so with her ever inquisitive mind, she asked, "Miss, why you no come on field trip today?"  I smiled and explained that I was unable to go this time.  She smiled and proceeded to show me her "jeweled oil lamps" that she bought from the mosque.  It was such a sweet moment with her because it was just the two of us sharing a moment together.  I've come a longggg way since August, and I will continue.....

Until next time, yall........

No comments:

Post a Comment