Friday, June 1, 2012

Favorite colors

Soooo yesterday I told my homeroom about leaving for Abu Dhabi and today, I decided to tell my first block students.  As expected, some of the homeroom kids in my first block blabbed the secret but that made first block students want to know even more.  After I showed the powerpoint, one of my "too grown" girls came up to me and asked me what my favorite colors were.  I was busily and frantically looking for some documents at the table.  In true Ms. Dula form I replied, "Get on away from here...I tell you about that later.  I can't do everything all at the same time".  For those that may not know my style, you may think that is harsh, but my students have learned my codes very well.  She knew I didn't mean anything by it so she smiled and got ready to go back to homeroom.  As she walked away, she said, "I'm gonna find out your favorite colors, Ms. Dula". 

Fast forward to the afternoon.  After a day of, "Be quiet", "I'm gonna write some names down", and "Put your heads down because my patience is gone", I happened to be looking at my desk.  On it, amongst documents and to be graded work, I found an oddly shaped, hand made envelope addressed to me.  Now, you see, this is not the first letter I have received like this, and most of the time, it is proclaiming some child's innocence after I had falsely accused them of something or a mushy "You're the best teacher in the whole wide world" note..hmmmph.  So...I open it up, expecting the usual, except this time it wasn't.  In fact, it was one of the sweetest notes I have ever received.  I must say that I cringed a little at the capitalization and punctuation (writing teachers do it the best :), but I felt happy and very loved.  My favorite line was "Do what your heart tells you to do".  I couldn't have said it better.  SN:  She wrote at the end that she already "knew" what my favorite colors were.


No comments:

Post a Comment